The support of the GET.invest Finance Catalyst is available to applicants that meet the following criteria:
- Investment Size and Generation Capacity: Only projects and businesses with a cumulative generation capacity between 0.5-50 MW or aggregated investments in the range of €250,000 to €70 million are eligible.
- Focus on renewable energy and energy efficiency: The major part of the scope must be a renewable energy system investment or energy efficiency equivalent, including clean cooking, storage and appliances. Hybrid systems with a reasonable share of renewable generation capacity are also eligible.
- Business models: Supported models may comprise electricity generation, electricity distribution (in the case of mini-grids and stand-alone systems), mechanical energy and industrial / process heat or cooling, as well as clean cooking and appliance products in the off-grid sector. (Green) Hydrogen, pure storage projects and e-mobility projects are eligible. Likewise, energy digital/smart-data systems developers can benefit from our support. Transmission projects or biofuels are not eligible.
- Revenue generating: Proposals must be conceptualised as revenue-generating and meet a minimum economic viability and sustainability threshold.
- Location: Applicants must be located in (or proceeds to be used in) sub-Saharan Africa, the Caribbean and/or the Pacific region.
- Focus on private sector: Eligible applicants may be private sector developers (local and international), NGOs, universities, parastatal companies, government or research institutions. Ultimately, projects will need to have a significant private-sector ownership (or equivalent) to allow for financing with debt or equity, possibly combined with other funding such as grants or public-sector contributions. Such private-sector engagement can be developed during the advisory support.
For applicants requesting accelerated Covid-19-related, the criteria outlined under Generation capacity and ticket size are substituted with the following minimum criteria:
- the equivalent of €100,000 of turnover over the past 12 months as a proxy to justify the allocation of individual coaches and the associated cost;
- a minimum of 5 staff employed (salary or results-based) as a proxy for the job impact of the crisis, and as an indicator for the cash needs of the company;
- the business can demonstrate it had a sustainable funding plan at the end of February until 1 May 2020 (i.e. no funding gap before 1 May 2020).